Congratulations to the
2015 Beacon Winners
1. A Degree of Hope by Tanya Angler
2. Welcome Home, Katie Gallagher by Seana Kelly
3. Higher Learning by Seana Kelly
1. Silver Platter by Babette de Jongh
2. A Thing of Beauty by Sophia Lund
3. Perfect Deal by Michele Summers
1. Fired Up by Anna Durand
2. Drake by Kara Collins (Full Requested)
3. Her Stolen Virtue by Kara Collins
1. Love’s Triumph by Jeanine Englert (Full Requested X2)
2. The Secret Affairs of a Duke’s Daughter by Janna MacGregor
3. Cameron’s Lady by Judy Di Canio
1. Betrayed by Susan Dunn (Full Requested)
2. Hanami by V.C. Buckley
3. Criminal Heat by Jan Jackson*
1. Lipstick on the Strawberry by Margaret Spence writing as Margaret Ann Spence
2. Simple Acts of Grace by Adriana Allegri
3. Uncommon by SJ Maitland
1. The Vampire Lust Club by Denny S. Bryce (Full Requested)
2. Hunter’s Mark by Diana Beebe (Full Requested X2)
3. Special Order by Kameron Claire (Full Requested)
1. Wrecked by Amy L. Gale (Full Requested X2)
2. Tree of Sun by S.A. Tudhope
3. Spontaneous Combustion by Sara Jade Alan
Contest runs August 1-31 and is limited to the first 125 entries received. The deadline will NOT be extended unless in a case of man-made or natural disasters. Open to all authors of romantic fiction. Published authors are eligible to enter any category in which they have not been contracted and/or published in book length fiction (40,000 words and over) in the last 3 years. (Self-published authors are considered published.) (All finalists will have an opportunity revise their entries before the final round.) Winners announced by December 15th. First place in each category receives a Beacon Lapel Pin. All finalists and winners receive a certificate, and of course – BRAGGING RIGHTS!
First Coast Romance Writers Unpublished Beacon contest:
- All entries will be judged by two trained judges. At least one of them will be a published author.
- Each finalist will be judged by some of the top editors and agents in the romance industry.
- Finalists will have an opportunity to revise the contest entry based on judges’ comments before the final round.
- Each entrant will receive their overall ranking compared to other entrants in their category.
- Our 2015_Beacon_Unpublished_Scoresheet is designed to provide detailed critique and feedback
First round will be judged by at least one published author and one trained judge. In the case of a discrepancy that is 20 points or great, a third judge will be brought and the lowest score will be dropped. The final round will be judged by at least one acquiring editor and agent in each category.
2015 Final Round Judges
Category Length Romance
Agent: Tricia Skinner, Fuse Literary
Editor: Shana Asaro–Harlequin
Agent: Rebecca Strauss–De Fiore & Co. Literary Agency
Editor: Elizabeth Poteet–St. Martin’s Press
Agent: Sara Megibow-KT Literary
Editor: Kristine Swartz-Berkley
Agent: Courtney Miller-Callihan-Sanford J. Greenburger
Editor: Madeleine Colavita-Grand Central Publishing
Agent: Shannon Hassan, The Marsal Lyon Agency
Editor: Katherine Pelz, Berkley
Agent: Beth Miller-Writers House Literary Agency
Editor: Rebecca Lucash–Harper Collins
Agent: Nalini Akolekar- Spencerhiill Associates
Editor: Candace Havens–Entangled Publishing
Young Adult Romance
Agent: Laura Bradford-The Bradford Agency Agency
Editor: Candace Havens, Entangled Publishing
The final round will be judged by at least one acquiring editor and agent in each category. (All finalists will have an opportunity revise their entries before the final round.) Final round judges are subject to change when unavoidable.
Open to all authors of romantic fiction. Published authors are eligible to enter any category in which they have not been contracted and/or published in book length fiction (40,000 words and over) in the last 3 years. (Self-published authors are considered published.) RWA membership is not required for entry. Contest is limited to the first 125 entries.
- Download and complete Entry_Form_2015 .
- Use Paypal (with Entry_Form_2015)
- Email registration form and entry pages as RTF documents to email@example.com
Fee: $25 FCRW members, $30 RWA member (not FCRW), $35 non-RWA member
|Beacon Contest Fee|
RULES & DEFINITIONS Entry: First 25 pages of the manuscript. The entrant may also include an optional 5 page synopsis for a maximum of 30 pages. (Synopsis will not be judged.) The Unpublished Beacon accepts electronic entries only. FCRW recognizes an author as being published the same way as RWA National does. Unpublished writers are those“… who have not accepted a publishing offer for a work of original fictional narrative prose of 40,000 words or more…” by August 31, 2015. CATEGORIES: Contemporary Length Series – Focuses primarily on the romantic relationship, released as part of a series, set after 1945 Contemporary Romance–Single Title (over 70k words) – Focuses primarily on the romantic relationship, released as a single title, set after 1945 Erotic Romance – The sexual relationship is an integral part of the plot, but may also contain elements of other subgenres Historical/Regency – Focuses primarily on the romantic relationship, set in any time period prior to 1945 Inspirational – Spiritual beliefs (in context of any belief system) are a major part of the romantic relationship Paranormal Romance – Future, fantasy world, or paranormal happenings are an integral part of the plot Romantic Elements–Contains a strong romantic element, such that one or more romances contained in the story form an integral part of the story’s structure, but in which other themes or stories may also be significantly developed. Romantic Suspense – Suspense, mystery, or thriller elements constitute an integral part of the plot Young Adult Romance – Strong romantic theme geared toward young adult readers Questions? For more information please contact the Unpublished Beacon Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org
PREVIOUS BEACON WINNERS
Category Length Series (All except Suspense and Adventure)
Contemporary Romance (Single Title)
Historical / Regency
Romantic Suspense / Contemporary Series: Suspense and Adventure
Young Adult Romance